Health & Safety - Driving at work

Driving at work

The Department of Archaeology & Anthropology must comply with current DVLA driving legislation and work within the University Health & Safety Office's policy statement and guidance for 'Travel at Work': . Please see also the University Health & Safety Office's policy on 'Driving at Work':

Driving on University Business includes drivers using University vehicles, hire vehicles or their own vehicle including bicycles. If you have any queries or wish to drive on field trips, please contact your Divisional Administrator.

Guidelines for driving at work

1. All journeys are restricted to bona fide University/Departmental business. These could include, but are not restricted to, travel between University buildings, research fieldwork, visits to other academic institutions, collection of items purchased for the Department, transportation of Archaeology casualties to hospital.

2. In order to drive any vehicle on University Business, drivers must be suitably qualified and show their full driver's licence (both ID photocard and paper counterpart) to Jessica Rippengal each year, complete the driver documentation, and agree to notify them of any changes, legal infringements or accidents, as this may bar them from university insurance cover. A copy of the driving licence will be retained on secure file. The Department requires all drivers to agree and sign a generic risk assessment, which covers them for regular journeys. Where extra hazards apply, such as driving alone ('lone working'), an individual risk assessment should also be completed. Driving on fieldtrips is covered by the field risk assessment.

3. Anyone wishing to use their own vehicle must also complete a form showing that their insurance policy covers business use for them and their passengers, that they have a current road fund licence and MOT/VOSA certificate (if the vehicle is over 3 years old), and that their car has been regularly serviced. Cyclists must have personal liability insurance and regular maintenance to show their bike is roadworthy.

4. For driving on field trips, archaeological digs or other journeys where any undergraduate students are carried as passengers, the driver must: a. have satisfactorily completed a recognised Advanced Driver Training course b. be over 21 years of age if driving in UK c. be over 25 years of age and at least post-doctoral status or equivalent if driving abroad d. have driving experience within the U.K. for at least 2 years (or equivalent experience abroad if the trip is outside UK). The University insurance also requires minibus drivers to have: e. no driving convictions other than one speeding offence f. no involvement in a motor accident in the last 3 years Time expired convictions are disregarded. DVLA requires a D1 category on a full British licence to drive a minibus. (People carriers with 5-8 passengers do not have this D1 requirement.)

5. In special circumstances with the agreement of the Head of Department, a driver, who does not meet all the above criteria may be allowed to drive a hire vehicle after an individual risk assessment has been made and signed by the Fieldtrip leader or Dig director

6. A Hire Vehicle Checklist and the Driving Protocol for using departmental vehicles is available here.

7. All driving for the Department is done on a purely voluntary basis. No-one will be required to drive if they are unwilling to do so.

8. For drivers of minibuses, you may need to display a "Section 19" minibus permit, which should be displayed in the front windscreen during each journey. This applies both to University-owned and to hired minibuses. Please discuss this with your Divisional Administrator.

9. Where a casualty is being taken to the doctor/hospital, a University First Aider should, where possible, accompany him/her. An ambulance must be called if there is any doubt about transporting a casualty safely.

10. In the event of an accident involving a University vehicle, drivers must follow University procedure, a copy of which is kept in each vehicle.

11. All accidents occurring while on University business, whether in a University vehicle or another vehicle, must also be reported as soon as possible to a Departmental Safety Officer.

12. Drivers may be considered to need further training due to inexperience and any breach of policy or rules may lead to withdrawal or suspension of any driver's authorisation to drive for the department or University.

13. Equipment left in unattended vehicles is not covered by the University's insurance; special arrangements should be made where equipment is being taken for use in the field etc.


Quick links to useful documentation regarding driving at work

University Health & Safety Office's policy on 'Driving at Work'

Generic risk assessment for driving

Vehicle hire checklist

Driver's individual risk assessment form

Driving any vehicle on University business